Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Work-in-Progress: Status of the Ty Cobb Sweater, June 2018

(Wow! Work-in-progress updates two months in a row. This is great!)

You'll be pleased to know that the Ty Cobb Sweater is coming along nicely. Last month, it was just a flat piece of knitting that, when strategically folded together, gave the impression of a sweater. Now...drumroll please...it will, in fact, pass for an ACTUAL SWEATER. The shoulders are stitched together, both arms are attached, and the cuffs are finished. (Note that all of these are construction details that will be addressed in future posts.)

Ty Cobb Sweater reproduction, now fully armed!

I've tried the sweater on and discovered that
  1. it's absolutely as heavy as you'd expect, 
  2. Ty Cobb was bigger than me, though not by much, and 
  3. I now understand why the only picture we have shows him wearing it with the sleeves rolled up. Man, those cuffs are long! 
Ty Cobb in the original sweater. Note the rolled-up sleeves.
As you can probably guess, construction is getting into the home stretch. All I have left are the pockets, the button placket, and the Tigers logo. Unfortunately, as with any home stretch, those are the most difficult parts. In other words, the next work-in-progress update is unlikely to be as dramatic as this one. On the other hand, solving the hardest problems always provides a great deal more satisfaction, so you're likely to see me showing off even tiny details. It comes with the territory, I suppose.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I am fascinated with your work on recreating vintage sweaters (heaters). I have some 1910's period MLB sweaters in my collection and one in particular needs a small amount of restoration to the cuffs and button placard. Do you perform any artifact restoration? I am the honorary historian for Spalding. Thank you, spaldinger@msn.com

    ReplyDelete