Thursday, July 26, 2018

Work-in-Progress: Status of the Ty Cobb Sweater, July 2018

As I warned you in my last status update, the changes to the Ty Cobb Sweater from here on out will seem less dramatic. Not that I haven't been working hard on it, but now it's mostly fiddly bits and hidden details.

Ty Cobb Sweater reproduction with pockets and updated cuffs
Finished pocket
I should start by making a confession: the cuffs of which I was so proud in the previous status update turned out to be wrong. That meant ripping them out, reexamining my pictures closely, knitting multiple swatches until I got the gauge I needed, and finally redoing them. (I'll go into the gory details in a future post.) The good news is that the cuffs are now correct. They look great, they match the HOF sweater perfectly, and redoing them actually taught me a lot about historical factory knitting.

Knitting at the ballpark. Why not? ;)
Placket in progress
The pockets are also finished--again, fascinating construction that we don't see anymore--and I've started work on the button placket. Since it's the only part of the sweater that's sewn on afterwards, all I really have to show so far is a long strip of knitting that will get even longer. While that's pretty boring compared to the rest of the sweater, it's also a lot more portable, which meant I was able to work on it during the Rockies-Dbacks game last weekend. (There's nothing quite like watching people react when they realize you're knitting while watching the game. ;)

Since the Saber Seminar is next weekend (August 4-5) and I'm giving a talk on my baseball laces research, I'm planning to take a week off from blogging. Hopefully I'll get a lot of knitting done though. Anyone who has seen me at a conference can attest to the fact that I knit during talks. (It helps me pay attention. Weird, I know, but true.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Really coool. You should join the Facebook group "Ty Cobb's Legacy --Time to Right a Terrible Wrong!!!!

    ReplyDelete